This week, Gretchen and I will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary. On the second to hottest day of August, in 2013, in an un-airconditioned, but beautiful church sanctuary filled with our friends and family, Gretchen and I joyfully exclaimed “we do!” While many couples choose to write their own promises to each other, we chose to say the same words to each other.
“Gretchen/Jill, I take you to be my wife from this time onward, to join with you and to share all that is to come, to give and receive, to speak and to listen, to inspire and to support, to love and to cherish, and in all circumstances of our life together, to be loyal to you with my whole life and with all of my being as long as we both shall live.”
In our married life together, we have found that the promises we made to each other nearly six years ago have bound us together into a tight unit. We are accountable to one another, and we strive to live into these promises each and every day.
So, as we worked to put together an adoption profile for prospective parents to get to know us better, we thought it would be a good idea to make promises to our future future child. Not only do we hope that our promises will assure prospective parents that we will love their child deeply, but they are promises for us to live into when we begin our new life together.
Without further ado, here is our letter to our future child:
We know that someday, hopefully in the not-too-distant future, we won’t be able to imagine our lives without you. While you are still only a dream in our hearts, we want you to know a few things:
- We love you already, even before meeting you.
- We’ll make mistakes along the way, but we’ll never stop loving you.
- We’ll make sure you know the history of who you are and from where you came.
- We promise to support you with love and a community of family and friends who will love you too.
- We’ll teach you about faith and always remind you that God loves you just as you are.
- We’ll encourage you to become the best version of yourself and teach you to follow your dreams.
- We promise to give you more books than you would ever want, teach you to cheer for Minnesota sports teams, and share with you all the best ways to adventure in the world.
- We’ll live a life of honest, hard work, and kindness.
- And we’ll remind you how loved you are every day, because love makes a family.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Love, Jill and Gretchen